Monday, November 2, 2009

Server 2008 RMS Installation Problem

I spent a few days trying to implement a simulation environment to test windows Rights Management Services and some third-party plugins on a server 2008 native. Every time I attempt to install RMS 2008 I was confronted with the following error message:

Error: Attempt to configure Active Directory Rights Management Server failed. An error was encountered while trying to provision AD RMS. Remove and re-install AD RMS to attempt provisioning again.


Despite uninstall/reinstalling the RMS service several times and verifying all the pre-requisites the error message still popped-up. I have followed every single line mentioned in the microsoft guide but yet the error re-appeared. There were absolutely no log files or events to explain the acause of the error. Also I couldnt find any solution on the internet that worked.
Almost giving up, my partner and I resorted to an unexpected solution..... changing the AD domain name.
RMS 2008 seemed to distaste single lettered domain names such as A.com and B.com that we initially tried to use. This was a bit strange since RMS 2003 worked fine using these same test domain names.

So after the changing the domain name to demo.com seemed to work with us in getting rid of the mysterious error message.

With courtesy of Samer Alotaiby.

No comments:

Post a Comment