Sunday, November 29, 2009

Virmansec Event Success!

Elhamdulilah, the presentation I gave on conficker at the Microsoft Innovation Center, Riyadh was a success.

The presentation can be downloaded from here:
http://staff.kfupm.edu.sa/coe/shafei/downadup.zip

The powerpoint slides is mostly pictures and it may not be of much benefit to those who havent attended. However, a lot of the technical information has already been mentioned here this blog. The presentation style was inspired by the best presentation gurus such as:
- bio/intro and overall structure as by Garr Reynolds
- slides and graphics as by Dick Hardt and Seth Godin
- speaking freely as by Guy Kawasaki
- walking freely as by Steve Riley

Running the powerpoint will be a bit heavy on a windows OS. had to optimize my operating system in order for it to run smoothly on a projector with completely no lag. This is what I have done to have a lag-free presentation:
1. Disabled all real-time protection tools including firewall. (assuming you are not connected to the internet)
2. Disabled automatic updates
3. Disabled Task Scheduler via services mmc
4. Disabled screensaver, and all power saving options.
5. Disabled wireless connection and all related processes. (left bluetooth on for my bluetooth mouse/pointer)
6. Disabled all unneccessary processes. In my task manager I had a total of 28 processes left running on an XP machine. I preferred not to disable other OS processes because I had to run a demo on the same machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment